Necropsy Results on Freckles and Daffy:
- The animal was thin and moderately dehydrated
- The rabbit weighed 3.1 kg
- The tissue was markedly autolytic
- There was marked to severe ulcerations and scabby areas on
all 4 feet.
- The lungs were severely congested and edematous. The
lungs were lightly firmer than normal.
- The stomach contained a small amount of ingesta.
- The rest of the intestinal tract had no gross lesions that
could be differentiated from advanced autolysis.
- severe pulmonary congestion
- edpidermal ulcerations
- The changes in the lungs are highly suggestive of acute
- The animal was thin and dehydrated
- The animal weighed 1.9 kg
- The tissues were markedly autolytic
- Within the right war canal was a purulent, yellow material.
This material extended into the tympanic bulla.
- The rest of the viscera had no gross lesions that
could be differentiated from advanced autolysis
Tentative Diagnosis: Otitis
- The changes in the ear are highly suggestive of bacterial
Histopathologic examination: (I believe this
is on Daffy but it didn't specify)
- Sections of cerebrum, cerebellum, kidney, lung, heart,
stomach, large and small intestine were examined.
- The section of kidney had one small lymphocytic focus in
the cortical interstitium
- The section of lung had a homogeneous, eosinophilic
material, edema, present in alveoli and the lung was congested.
- pulmonary edema and congestion
- Lesions suggestive of a pneumonia were not observed.
I believe this is on Freckles but it doesn't specify.
Sections of cerebrum, cerebellum, brainstem, kidney, lung, splean, pancreas,
liver, kidney, skin, stomach, large and small intestine were examined.
- The section of cerebrum had mild lymphoplasmacytic
perivascular cuffing present in the neuropil in the hippocampal region.
One section of the cerebrum appeared to have a focus of gitter calls and
lymphoplasmacytic perivascular cuffing.
- Mild saponification was present in the adipose tissue
adjacent to the pancreas.
- The section of liver had a mild lymphoplasmacytic
infiltrate in scattered portal triads.
- The section of heart had a mild mononuclear infiltrate in
the epicardium and adjacent mycocardium.
- The section of skin was ulcerated and degenerate and
karyorrhectic neutrphils (heterophils). Ecsinophillic cellular debris
and bacteria in the site of ulceration.
- mild, subacute, nonsuppurative encephalitis
Necropsy and histopathology:
- mild, subacute, nonsuppurative epicarditis and
- moderate, focally extensive, acute, ulcerative
- Lesions in the brain may have been secondary to the otitis.
Final Diagnosis and Comments:
- Congestion, Pulmonary
- Edema, Pulmonary
- Dermatitis, ulcerative
- Encephalitis, Nonsuppurative
- Epicarditis, Nonsuppurative
- Myocarditis, Nonsuppurative